Saturday, May 26, 2012

The world is small and food is good.

As we walked up to the adoption agency Friday morning I saw a couple who I was sure I had seen at the Incheon airport the night before.  I walked up and asked them where they were from and they said, "Rochester, Minnesota."  They had been on our flight from Chicago.  What are the odds of running into someone from your home town on the other side of the world in a city of 11 million people?

It turns out that they are here to adopt their first son.  They are on our exact schedule and will be flying home with us on Wednesday.  We happened to be standing there as our new friends' (Dan and Laurie) son and foster mother walked up.  I quickly grabbed my camera and captured their first meeting with their son.   I know both Phil and I had tears in our eyes watching their family be born.  We had been wanting to do a food tour but we were hoping to find some other people to go with us.  I quickly mentioned the food tour to Dan and Laurie and not only did they know about but they were planning to go that very night.  We decided to join them and we are so glad that we did.

The food tour is run by a Korean adoptee who was raised in Delaware but returned to Korea 7 years ago.  He does an amazing job of explaining Korean food and tradition.  So we set off on our tour, 4 Minnesotans, 2 Australians on a (sing it with me) 4 hour tour... I am not making that up it is actually a 4 hour tour to 4 different locations.

We had SO much fun, learned a TON, played some drinking games, ate some weird stuff (chicken feet) and only got lost once.  I stopped to take a picture and the group moved on without us.  I don't know who was more relieved once we were found again us or our tour guide.  The tour ended about 10:00 and then we had to take the subway back to the hotel.  The jet lag and the two hours of sleep the night before I definitely caught up with me and the subway instantly rocked me to sleep.  Good thing Phil was awake enough to get me off the subway at our stop.  We both slept for 10 hours last night and we feel much better.

Enjoy some pictures from our food tour.
 

 This is our tour guide Daniel holding a chicken foot.  Yes, we ate them but he didn't tell us what they were until afterward.




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! We can't wait to meet Charli!

    ReplyDelete